"View as Conversations" in Outlook profile with MD Connector seems broken | MDaemon Technologies, Ltd.

"View as Conversations" in Outlook profile with MD Connector seems broken

• In Outlook I choose the View tab and check the "View as Conversations" checkbox. The dialog pops up "This Folder" or "All Mailboxes" or "Cancel". Selecting anything but Cancel causes the messages to disappear as the activity dots stream across the Outlook bar forever.

I have not tested exhaustively, but with three different but existing Outlook clients using MD Connector 7.0.7 the result is same. Likewise a new MDaemon account with new Outlook profile produces the same result.

I tested with Outlook IMAP client to our MDaemon server and the "View as Conversations" worked instantly and correctly.

It appears MD Connector 7.0.7 has broken this conversation view in Outlook. Does anyone know of any solutions?

• Hello Martin,

This is a known issue with MDaemon Connector and is currently under review by our development team. Thank you.

Marlon
    Application Support Engineer
    MDaemon Technologies | Simple Secure Email

• @MARTIN Good luck. We reported this issue almost a year ago and the response was similar:

Unfortunately the conversation view is currently not available for the MDaemon Connector. It is currently being worked on by our development team however there is no information on when, or if, it will be included in a future release.

The fact that "Conversation View" being broken is not noted anywhere in MDaemon's marketing materials, product guides, or documentation is shady and we stated as much to them last year. As far as we can tell, there has been no movement. They haven't even added a note on the product's webpage under "Deployment Considerations" or "General Use Recommendations" even though there are several other limitations and deficiencies listed there.

We did the free trial but unfortunately none of our testers tried using conversation view. We only realized it was broken once we purchased it and rolled it out to everyone. It has become something many of my users complain about constantly as they consider conversation/thread view to be a critical feature of a usable email client and, for better or worse, these users want to use Outlook instead of another client.

• Hi Martin!

Have you tried "ActiveSync"
    best regards,
    Hugo Cortes
    Uppsala Dataservice AB

• Yes, the "Conversation View" works using an ActiveSync profile, as well as IMAP and POP3. 

• @MCM Interesting.

I get your frustration. I wish there were better communication and commitment from MDaemon on their development timelines. Currently it's just a wait and hope, with hope slowly fading with every product update. Before it got wiped due to their ransomware hit, I mentioned on the old forum that the MDaemon Connector feels and operates like a beta product. It works sporadically and crashes Outlook a LOT for our 400+ users. Consequently I have been steering my users away from the MDaemon Connector due to the frustrations associated with its instability instead using an ActiveSync profile.

Personally I have ditched Outlook altogether and began using "eM Client" since it works natively with MDaemon - no need for the Connector. Has no ActiveSync drawbacks, and best of all, it never crashes, conversation view works normally, as well as shared calendars, etc.

My gripes aside, I otherwise LOVE the MDaemon product.

• @Marlon Has there been any movement on fixing this issue? The conversation view still exhibits the same problem while using MDaemon Connector.

• Hello Martin, 

This issue has been submitted to our development team and is still currently under review. I will update the report to let them know that you are still experiencing the issue. 

Marlon
    Application Support Engineer
    MDaemon Technologies | Simple Secure Email