Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > Mdeamon transfer to new Server

Mdeamon transfer to new Server

[Karpas, Andrius]
Andrius Karpas
Andrius Karpas - 03:07am, Aug 16 2018

Hello it's me again
This time i want to discuss about mdeamon transfer to new server. I got to read papers i know i have to take away service i have deactivate mdeamon along with security and then to copy entire Mdeamon structure to new server to the identical location. My problem is that following those steps the downtime of the mail server will be too long as we gave around 300Gb on user folder.
Is where a way to speed it up, let say what if i copy all to new server without stopping service and deactivating software, so that i have copy on new server and those deactivations and reactivations will take a couple of min, or its not going to work and i have to proceed the proper recommended steps.
Your help is much appreciated.

  (older msg: 2)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Andrius Karpas - Aug 16, 2018 8:10 am (#3 Total: 6)

Photo of Author
Andrius Karpas
you might have robocopy script that will mirror and monitor for the changes and will run itself to synch changes?

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am (#4 Total: 6)

I don’t have a script, but I don’t think a script is needed.

According to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1073.robocopy-and-a-few-examples.aspx you can do it with a command line like the following:

#6 Mirror directories

The following command will mirror the directories using Robocopy:

Robocopy \\SourceServer\Share \\DestinationServer\Share /MIR /FFT /Z /XA:H /W:5

Explanation of the switches used:

  • /MIR specifies that Robocopy should mirror the source directory and the destination directory. Note that this will delete files at the destination if they were deleted at the source.
  • /FFT uses fat file timing instead of NTFS. This means the granularity is a bit less precise. For across-network share operations this seems to be much more reliable - just don't rely on the file timings to be completely precise to the second.
  • /Z ensures Robocopy can resume the transfer of a large file in mid-file instead of restarting.
  • /XA:H makes Robocopy ignore hidden files, usually these will be system files that we're not interested in.
  • /W:5 reduces the wait time between failures to 5 seconds instead of the 30 second default.

o: 817-601-3222    e: arron.caruth@mdaemon.com