Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > Clatification about SMTP authentication

Clatification about SMTP authentication

While configuring an MDaemon Server and SMTP authentication I have the option to say "Authentication is always required when mail is from local accounts" and "...unless message is to a local account".
What is exactly a "local account"? How can MDaemon detect if an account is local or not?
I need to send mail messages from a server where I can specify the SMTP server and the user address (user1@mydomain.local) but I cannot enter a password: how should I configure either the originating server and the MDaemon server so that mail messages are delivered? Should I place them in the same subnet? What else?
Regards

Charl Pohlmann - May 10, 2019 7:24 am (#1 Total: 2)

Photo of Author
Charl Pohlmann
The way I understand it is that you will not need to authenticate if you are sending a message from a local mailbox on the MDaemon server to another local mailbox hosted on the same server.

To do what you need, you need to send the message from one mailbox (lets say noreply@yourdomain.com) to a mailbox hosted on the same server (lets say techsupport@yourdomain.com). MDaemon will see that both sender and recipient is hosted locally and not bother with authentication, if you have enabled both settings described in your post.

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Apr 24, 2019 10:39 am (#2 Total: 2)

A local account is an account that exists locally on the MDaemon server.  If you check the box, any local sender that is attempting to send a message that is destined for another local account will not be required to authenticate.  MDaemon can detect if the message is destined for a local account based on the value passed in the RCPT TO command during the SMTP session.

If you have an client that needs to send mail but cannot authenticate, the first thing I would try to do is to upgrade the client so that it can authenticate.  If authentication is simply not possible then you have a couple of options.

-Add the IP of the client that cannot authenticate to the trusted IP list.  This should bypass the authentication required.  I would not do this unless you completely trust the IP address.  When you trust an IP address it is excluded from many security checks in MDaemon.

-Uncheck the box for Authentication is always required when mail is sent from local accounts. Go to Security / Security Settings / Sender Authentication / IP Shield.  Check the box for Do not apply IP shield to authenticated sessions.  Then enter the Domain/IP pair for the client that is unable to authenticate.  This domain will be the domain the messages will be from and the IP will be the IP address the client is connecting from.  This will force all clients to authenticate that are connecting from an IP and sending from a domain that are not listed in the IP Shield configurations.  This will require a bit more time to configure but is more secure.

o: 817-601-3222    e: arron.caruth@mdaemon.com

While configuring an MDaemon Server and SMTP authentication I have the option to say "Authentication is always required when mail is from local accounts" and "...unless message is to a local account".
What is exactly a "local account"? How can MDaemon detect if an account is local or not?
I need to send mail messages from a server where I can specify the SMTP server and the user address (user1@mydomain.local) but I cannot enter a password: how should I configure either the originating server and the MDaemon server so that mail messages are delivered? Should I place them in the same subnet? What else?
Regards

View/reply at Clatification about SMTP authentication

products.  To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
discuss-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .