Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Content Filter > Rule to flag emails that are from external parties.

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Content Filter  /

Rule to flag emails that are from external parties.

[Dawley, Del]
Del Dawley
Del Dawley - 02:22pm, Nov 21 2018

My goal is to flag emails that are sent from external accounts to combat spam. We currently receive emails with internal employee names, along with their external email addresses. It's easy to fall for this, especially with small devices that suppress the email address.

I'd like to insert "*** EXTERNAL EMAIL ***" into the body of messages received by Mdaemon that are not from our domain.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Del

Jay Tolbert - Nov 26, 2018 5:30 pm (#1 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Jay Tolbert

I'm assuming you want to flag all external addresses not just ones with
employee names.  If you want that then it gets somewhat harder.

Try a content filter rule like:

If the FROM HEADER does not contain local account (in the editor click
on 'contains specific strings' at the bottom, then 'contains...' in the
dialog and select the last option 'Does Not Contain Local Account in the
drop down that shows 'Contains').
...then add header 1 "X-Subject","$HEADER:Subject$" (this just copies
the current subject header for later)
    and remove header 1 "Subject", "" (this removes the original subject
header, I find this easier than editing it)
    and add header 2 "Subject", "*** EXTERNAL EMAIL ***
$HEADER:X-Subject$" (make a new Subject header with the desired
notification)
    and remove header 2 "X-Subject". "" (remove the saved subject header
- optional)

Jay Tolbert
Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

On 11/21/2018 1:22 PM, Del Dawley wrote:
> My goal is to flag emails that are sent from external accounts to
> combat spam. We currently receive emails with internal employee names,
> along with their external email addresses. It's easy to fall for this,
> especially with small devices that suppress the email address.
>
> I'd like to insert "*** EXTERNAL EMAIL ***" into the body of messages
> received by Mdaemon that are not from our domain.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks.
> Del

Replies to this message
  • Del Dawley (Dec 9, 2018 12:29 pm)

  • David.Cyrus@mdaemon.com - Nov 27, 2018 3:11 pm (#2 Total: 4)

    Hello,

    To add to the information that Jay has already provided, there is an MDaemon Technologies knowledge base article that describes how to prepend text to an existing subject line:

        KB 1195 How to prepend a tag to the beginning of a header
        https://www.altn.com/Support/KnowledgeBase/KnowledgeBaseResults/?Number=1195

    The content filter rule described in the knowledge base article above includes a condition that looks for attachments which you can exclude if you are not interested in flagging emails containing attachments.

    You of course can change the text string described in the article to whatever want to prepend to the subject line (i.e. "*** EXTERNAL EMAIL ***").

    Hope this helps.