Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > mdeamon as external server in active directory problems

mdeamon as external server in active directory problems

[Karpas, Andrius]
Andrius Karpas
Andrius Karpas - 12:08pm, Apr 20 2018

Have a problem.
1: Active Directory users should be using external private mail server. (meadon)
2 domain controller are in centralized location.
3 sites connects via vpn's
4 mail server is in one of the site
5 Problem - when i set up outlook imap it doesn't work with mail server fully qualified domain name.
6 if i use internal mail sever ip address it works fine.
7 should be dns problem even created new dns zone added a and mx records , nslookup resolves it both ways with no problem but still doesnt work.
Any ideas!!!!!!

Andrius Karpas - Apr 24, 2018 6:10 am (#1 Total: 2)

Photo of Author
Andrius Karpas
update! tested other 2 sites so all works great with no problems. The problem exist only on the site where Mdeamon server is installed.
PC's are able to resolve ip to domain name and domain to ip, but it doesn't work in the browser and only local ip works within the site.

Arron.Caruth@mdaemon.com - Apr 25, 2018 7:50 am (#2 Total: 2)

First off, I should mention I’m not an expert on setting up networks.

If you ping the fully qualified domain name of the server from a client machine on the site that is unable to connect, what IP do you get?  I’m assuming you do not get the internal IP address of the mail server.

If that is the case, then my first guess is that there is either no route for the connection to follow to that IP address or the route is incorrect.  Another possibility is that the route for the IP address attempts to go out through a firewall and then back in through that firewall.  Most firewalls do not allow this type of traffic.

I’m not sure how you want to address this on your network.  In our network we have internal and external DNS servers setup so that the same fully qualified domain name can be used intenrally and externally.  Internally it resolves to an internal IP address and externally it resolves to a public facing IP address.

You could use the host file on the machines to force the fully qualified domain name to the internal IP of the server, but that would require you to set it up on every on the network with the mail server.

o: 817-601-3222    e: arron.caruth@mdaemon.com

update! tested other 2 sites so all works great with no problems. The problem exist only on the site where Mdeamon server is installed.
PC's are able to resolve ip to domain name and domain to ip, but it doesn't work in the browser and only local ip works within the site.

View/reply at mdeamon as external server in active directory problems

products.  To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
discuss-unsubscribe@mdaemon.com .