Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in > ClamAV scanning error 8 (gethost error)

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in  /

ClamAV scanning error 8 (gethost error)

[Lumadue, Thomas]
Thomas Lumadue
Thomas Lumadue - 02:35pm, Sep 27 2017

Has anyone seen this issue ClamAV scanning error 8 (gethost error)? Quite a few legitimate emails have been send to the Quarantine queue with this error today. Thanks

  (older msg: 1)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

Mariano Fuster - Nov 8, 2017 2:16 am (#2 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Mariano Fuster
Hi.
I have the same problem, many emails on Quarantine queue this morning, any solution?
Regards.

David Cyrus (apparently) - Nov 9, 2017 7:01 pm (#3 Total: 4)

David Cyrus

No. No specific solution has been found for this issue.

When one has, we will post that solution here in the discussion forums

Until then, please submit an email support request for assistance with this issue from technical support

Aleksandar Devecerski - Nov 10, 2017 4:42 am (#4 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Aleksandar Deve…

Hi Thomas

Don't know if this helps, but you can look if this checks out for you.

Had the similar issue until few of days ago. It turned out to be virus
definition related. Updater
(Mdaemon\SecurityPlus\ClamAVPlugin\freshclam.exe) was unable to download
new definitions for couple of days due to IP address unavailability. And
at one point it started and corrupted existing definitions. Updater
config file (Mdaemon\SecurityPlus\ClamAVPlugin\conf\freshclam.conf) in
my installation (and I presume all of the MDaemon installations) had
following two lines navigating it to definitions location:

#DatabaseMirror db.XY.clamav.net
DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net

Reading ClamAV documentation I found out that "db.XY.clamav.net" line,
which was commented out, defines primary location for updater to look
in. In case it is unavailable updater looks further in
"database.clamav.net".
The problem is "database.clamav.net" is round-robin type address,
meaning it depends on your location, I guess. And from my location
(Serbia) it resolved to addresses unavailable for days.

So I've experimented with the primary location (this XY part is related
to geographical location/country domain, you can see at
http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm) and found "db.SI.clamav.net"
best suites my needs. Added the line with it to freshclam.conf and my
problems stopped.

Regards