Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in > Security Plus, does it work?

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Anti-virus Plug-in  /

Security Plus, does it work?

[Griffin, Ashley]
Ashley Griffin
Ashley Griffin - 10:48pm, May 23 2017

Hi We pay for the Security Plus software and updates, i see the Antivirus plugin, its been set to scan, anything it cant remove it should delete.

Then we installed the Outlook Connector, the desktop antivirus lit up like a Christmas tree with just about every REALLY BAD virus you could find still in message attachments, so does Security Plus work as its not removing attachments that we can see (even when its told to).

Alex H - May 24, 2017 1:20 am (#1 Total: 2)

Photo of Author
Alex H

I am using Security Plus (and also Outlook Connector).

Keep in mind that it does check emails only when they arrive at the mail
server, it does not scan mails that already exist in user mailboxes (old
emails).

Also, if a virus is brand new and not yet known to the virus definition
database, or the update interval is set to too long to get new virus
definitions, viruses might slip through unrecognized and end up sitting
in user mailboxes.

These could be handled on the email client side or a separate AV scanner
on the server if I understand it correctly, but I wish there would be
some automatic process that could be run as part of MDaemon (ie.
re-scanning all mail that was delivered since last AV update etc - I
haven't thought about what particular solution might work).

What I describe above could be completely unrelated to your issues though.

-Alex

On 24-May-17 11:48, Ashley Griffin wrote:
> Hi We pay for the Security Plus software and updates, i see the
> Antivirus plugin, its been set to scan, anything it cant remove it
> should delete.
>
> Then we installed the Outlook Connector, the desktop antivirus lit up
> like a Christmas tree with just about every REALLY BAD virus you could
> find still in message attachments, so does Security Plus work as its
> not removing attachments that we can see (even when its told to).

Jared Charles (apparently) - May 26, 2017 12:52 pm (#2 Total: 2)

Jared Charles
Jedi
Jedi

Hello Ashley,

Did the desktop anti-virus start to detect those viruses on multiple machines, or was this only noticed on one machine?

Can you confirm whether the desktop anti-virus was detecting viruses that were found in their downloaded messages or if it was detecting viruses that were found elsewhere on the machine?

If the desktop anti-virus was definitely finding viruses in the downloaded messages, if you review the “MDaemon-AntiVirus.log” from the day this occurred, do you see an errors during the AV scan of those particular messages where viruses were found?

Regards,

--

Jared Charles

Alt-N Technologies, Ltd.

www.altn.com

Sent using Alt-N's own MDaemon Messaging Server

Now available with BYOD Mobile Device Management,

Get to know the Alt-N family by liking us on Facebook!