Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > 1 Unique Public Contact For All Company Solution

1 Unique Public Contact For All Company Solution

[Duong, Paul]
Paul Duong
Paul Duong - 10:15pm, Sep 21 2016

Dear all,

Situtation: Our company employee use Outlook, Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express client. When an employee leave/resign his job, I delete his email acount from Mdaemon, but in other employee contact book and even my boss, the email of resigned employee still exist. So they still miss email to him.

So our company, my boss, want an unique public contact book that can sync to all email clients of employee. So when an employee resign, I just delete his email from Mdaemon and delete the contact some where in server (LDAP or something) then all employee contact books will be updated.

I ask some of my friends, some people said I should use IMAP for all client. Some others said I can still use POP3 and use a LDAP server or AD server to share contact to client.

I realy don't know where to start and what is the best solution for this sittuation.

Pls give me some advice or solution.

Any help is very appriciated.

Sorry for my bad English.

leigh.cain@altn.com (apparently) - Sep 27, 2016 10:59 am (#1 Total: 2)

via email - Technical Support

Photo of Author
leigh.cain@altn…

SecurityGateway
Outlook Connector
SecurityPlus
ProtectionPlus
WebAdmin
Hello,

You can export MDaemon users to an LDAP address book, but please keep in mind that having an address book available to your users does not mean you can force them to use it. There's not a way to prevent them from keeping a personal address book in any client.

The options I can think of are:

1. You can use an LDAP address book. MDaemon can be configured to keep an LDAP address book up to date with users, aliases, and mailing lists. Once you have installed and configured your LDAP server, you can enter the information in MDaemon so it can connect to the server and export the information. How to do that depends on what version of MDaemon you are using. The latest version has an LDAP section you can configure under Accounts | Accounts Settings | LDAP. Then each client will have to be configured to pull the address book information from the LDAP server.

2. You can enable Public Folders in MDaemon and users can use Outlook Connector or WorldClient, and will have access to the domain's Contacts public folder. Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express would not be able to access the public folder.

3. If you would rather not have to configure and maintain an LDAP server or have users switch mail clients, another option is to instead of just deleting the users, you can either:
  1. Keep the user and configure forwarding to forward mail sent to that account to the person now responsible for their former duties.
  2. Delete the account and create an alias that points that user address to the person now responsible for their duties.
  3. With either of those, you can configure a content filter rule that looks for mail to the old address and sends a reply back to the sender informing them that the address has changed and that they need to update their address book to the new address.
I hope that is helpful.

--
Leigh Cain
Quality Assurance Analyst

Now available with BYOD Mobile Device Management,

Get to know the Alt-N family by liking us on Facebook!

[...]

View/reply at 1 Unique Public Contact For All Company Solution
discuss-unsubscribe@altn.com .

Paul Duong - Sep 30, 2016 10:24 pm (#2 Total: 2)

Photo of Author
Paul Duong
Hello Cain,

Thank you very much for your support.