Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > Discussions > SPF and SRS: Sender Rewriting Scheme

SPF and SRS: Sender Rewriting Scheme

http://www.openspf.org/SRS

Is there a away to implement this in MDaemon?

As the uptake of SPF is more prominent, forwarding of mail is becoming
pretty difficult in MDaemon

Kind Regards

Jay Tolbert - Mar 16, 2016 10:38 am (#1 Total: 3)

Photo of Author
Jay Tolbert

I don't know if it's an SRS implementation but does Security -> Security
Settings, Sender Authentication -> SPF Verification, check "Use local
address in SMTP envelope when formwarding messages" work for you?

Jay Tolbert
Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

On 3/16/2016 8:41 AM, Matthew Ogden wrote:
> http://www.openspf.org/SRS
>
> Is there a away to implement this in MDaemon?
>
> As the uptake of SPF is more prominent, forwarding of mail is becoming
> pretty difficult in MDaemon
>
> Kind Regards

Matthew Ogden - Mar 16, 2016 9:45 pm (#2 Total: 3)

Photo of Author
Matthew Ogden
Hi

Wont that just mean the from address will be set to the local address.

So if outside user (jill@outsider.com) sends to John@domain.com, and
thats an alias for John@anotherdomain.com, then then when the email
arrives in John@anotherdomain.com, it will show as though its from
John@domain.com instead of jill@outsider.com?

Jay Tolbert wrote:
> I don't know if it's an SRS implementation but does Security -> Security
> Settings, Sender Authentication -> SPF Verification, check "Use local
> address in SMTP envelope when formwarding messages" work for you?
>
> Jay Tolbert
> Dickerson Engineering, Inc.
>
> On 3/16/2016 8:41 AM, Matthew Ogden wrote:
>> http://www.openspf.org/SRS
>>
>> Is there a away to implement this in MDaemon?
>>
>> As the uptake of SPF is more prominent, forwarding of mail is becoming
>> pretty difficult in MDaemon
>>
>> Kind Regards

Dave Warren (apparently) - Mar 16, 2016 11:22 pm (#3 Total: 3)

Dave Warren
It doesn't rewrite the RFC2822.From header, it rewrites the RFC2821.Mail
field. This is the same thing that SRS changes, however, instead of
sending the bounce to the original sender (who can't do anything about
it anyway), it results in the bounce coming back to you.

This solves the SPF problem, although not the DMARC alignment problem
(neither does SRS, by the way), and also, DKIM signed messages will
still pass DMARC and be aligned properly anyway.

Ultimately, MDaemon's solution isn't as good as SRS, but it's arguably
Good Enough.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/