Logout

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Content Filter > Rule needed - Adding warning to top of message when attachment=zip

 [F] Alt-N Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Discussion Groups  / MDaemon Content Filter  /

Rule needed - Adding warning to top of message when attachment=zip

[Russell, James]
James Russell
James Russell - 03:54am, Mar 30 2015

Hi there,

I am trying to create a rule that will add a warning (something like, please verify the source of this attachment before opening, may contain a virus) to the top of an e-mail when it detects it has a zip file attachment.

I have been able to successfully create a rule that will move mails with zip attachments to the bad queue and also to add a corporate signature with the warning to the bottom of the mail. But really, it would be better if I could add the warning to the top of the mail as some users have claimed not to see the warning.
The moving to bad queue is another option, but then that means someone has to constantly monitor the bad queue.

A warning at the top would be the answer to my prayers really. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

  (older msg: 5)All MessagesOldest ItemsOlder ItemsNewer ItemsNewest Items

James Russell - Apr 7, 2015 4:07 am (#6 Total: 7)

Photo of Author
James Russell
Hi Arron,

Ok, the way we have it setup is that Mdaemon acts as our main mail server for the company. We also have Mdaemon running on the reception computers on the remote sites (these sites are connected back to our head office via IPSEC VPN tunnels).
So for instance, the main Mdaemon is running and accepting all main for all domains.
On the sites, they are setup like their own little unique sites.

E.G. On the main HQ Mdaemon there is a Site1@ourdomain.com mailbox. Site2... Site3 etc...
The site reception computers themselves are setup as their own little domains. So Site1.site as the domain, but they have an alias for the people. So in effect, when sending a mail to JBloggs@ourdomain.com the main HQ Mdaemon see's it as an alias of Site1@ourdomain.com and sends it onto the site's pc.
On the other end it see's that JBloggs@ourdomain.com is an alias for JBloggs@Site1.site

I know it seems a little convoluted but this was all setup prior to me coming into this role.

Is it a case of because they are alias's on both ends they won't work? Or is there something I can do to get that rule that sends a note to the "recipient" with the original e-mail+zip to work?
It only seems to be having a problem sending the notes to these people who are alias's as people who exist as actual Mailboxes on the main HQ Mdaemon work fine with this rule.

I will try find a zip I can send to you to test with.

Arron Caruth (apparently) - Apr 7, 2015 8:22 am (#7 Total: 7)

Administrator
Administrator
[md-cfilter] Rule needed - Adding warning to top of message when attachment=zip

I think we may be able to get the send a note action to work by using the $HEADER:some header name$ macro but I can’t be sure without running some tests.  In order for my tests to be accurate I’ll need a copy of a message from the Local Queue in MDaemon so I can see the state of the email headers when it is processed by the content filter.  The easiest way to get a copy of a .msg file is to freeze the local queue and then just make a copy of the file using Windows Explorer.  If you are able to get a copy of a message file you can email to me directly at arron@altn.com.

If this doesn’t work, another option we can try would be to create content filter rules on each of the servers to send notes warning users.  This would obviously require more work to setup as you’d have to create multiple rules.

Now available with  BYOD Mobile Device Management,

Get to know the Alt-N family by liking us on Facebook!

[...]

View/reply at Rule needed - Adding warning to top of message when attachment=zip

This list is for questions and discussions about MDAEMON's Content
Filter. To unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
md-cfilter-unsubscribe@altn.com .