Content Filtering for Sending to "Everyone"

[Kanagawa, Shinlei]
Shinlei Kanagaw…
Shinlei Kanagawa - 01:59am, May 26 2014

Dear All,

I have a problem when using Content Filter for sending email to "Everyone", here is what i'm trying to do:

I have 3 user account: A,B&C. I want to set rule only user A and B can send email to everyone while C can't. So i set this rule in Content Filter: "if the FROM HEADER does not contain 'userA@test.com' or 'userB@test.com' and if the TO HEADER contains 'everyone@test.com' then move message to bad message directory" (see my attachment filter_fail.jpg). After i set the rule, when i try to send from user A or user B to everyone, my message is being sent to bad message directory. Below is Bad Message LOG:

Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 23:22:54 -0700
From: "userA" (userA@test.com)
Subject: testing everyone 1

--0527-0622-54-03-PART_BREAK

(html)(body)
(div style="font-size:10pt,font-family:tahoma")&nbsp,(/div)
(/body)(/html)

--0527-0622-54-03-PART_BREAK--

But if i try another scenario that only user A can send to everyone while user B and C can't, using content filter: "if the FROM HEADER does not contain 'userA@test.com' and if the TO HEADER contains 'everyone@test.com' then move message to bad message directory" (see my attachment filter_success.jpg), it works as expected... only user A that can send to everyone while others can't.

I wonder why this is happen as the difference between first rule and second is only " or 'userB@test.com' ", but only second rule that went as expected.

Please help me, Thank You.

Attachments:

filter_fail.jpg (163 KB)

filter_success.jpg (163 KB)

Shinlei Kanagawa - Jun 1, 2014 8:26 pm (#1 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Shinlei Kanagaw…
Hi,

Please, can someone help me on this matter?

Thanks & Best Regards

Jay Tolbert - Jun 2, 2014 7:57 am (#2 Total: 4)

Photo of Author
Jay Tolbert

Not sure why that isn't working. Two alternatives you could try:

1. Create a group of banned senders and then use the condition if the
sender is a member of the group to move the message to the bad queue.
If you have only a few senders and the default should be to not send
then you could do it with two rules. First check for a list message and
valid sender match in the group, if so skip the next rule. Then check
again for a list message and move it to the bad queue.

2. Don't use the everyone list. Instead create a new list that has the
everyone macro as a read only list member and anyone that can post to
the list as a post only member (if they were a regular member they would
get two of any message since they are part of the everyone macro and
also a member). For example.com the list members in the .grp file would
look like:

^ALL_USERS:example.com
!a@example.com
!b@example.com

^ as first character makes the address read only and ! as first
character makes the address post only.

Jay Tolbert
Dickerson Engineering, Inc.

Shinlei Kanagawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please, can someone help me on this matter?
>
> Thanks & Best Regards

Replies to this message
  • Shinlei Kanagawa (Jun 2, 2014 7:38 pm)

  • Shinlei Kanagawa - Jun 2, 2014 7:38 pm (#3 Total: 4)

    Photo of Author
    Shinlei Kanagaw…
    Replying to: Jay Tolbert (Jun 2, 2014 7:57 am)
    Not sure why that isn't working. Two alternatives you could try: 1. Create a group of banned senders and...

    Thanks for the suggestion Jay, I will try it.

    Dario Majovsky - Sep 24, 2014 9:27 am (#4 Total: 4)

    R&D and IT Manager

    Photo of Author
    Dario Majovsky

    Outlook Connector
    No content filters needed.

    In the Setup/Preferences/Miscellaneous check "Create Everyone list" and once created uncheck it again.

    Create eg. EveryoneSenders group and add the allowed sender's accounts

    Then edit the "Everyone@domain.tld.grp" file with notepad and look that it ends like this:
    $administrator@domain.tld
    $Group:EveryoneSenders
    ^ALL_USERS:domain.tld

    You can do the same for the MasterEveryone if you have multiple domains and create one group for each domain.The "MasterEveryone@domain.tld.grp" will look like this:
    $administrator@domain.tld
    $Group:EveryoneMasters
    ^ALL_USERS:domain.tld
    ^ALL_USERS:domain1.tld
    ^ALL_USERS:domain2.tld
    ^ALL_USERS:domain3.tld
    ^ALL_USERS:domain4.tld

    Take care on the sequence of these lines, the $ users/group must be before the ^ALL, otherwise it don't work as expected.

    Having the "Setup/Preferences/Miscellaneous/Create Everyone list" disabled, you will need to add manually the ^ALLxxx in the MasterEveryone@domain.tld.grp for new domains. You will also need to create the "Everyone@newdomain.tld.grp". for every new domain.

    If you later reenable "Setup/Preferences/Miscellaneous/Create Everyone list" you will lose the changes made with notepad because MDaemon will rewrite the files.