Click Here to Join the Alt-N user community!

Alt-N Discussion Groups > MDaemon Discussion Groups > MDaemon Support > Archive > Security Plus and Encrypted Attachments?

Security Plus and Encrypted Attachments?

[Bowes, Ian]
Ian Bowes
Ian Bowes - 05:12am, Mar 29 2012

All,

I wondered what the opinion of letting encrypted/password protected
attachments pass through was.

We've had a strict policy of Quarantining attachments that cannot be
scanned by Security Plus, but recently we're getting a lot more traffic
being lost to Quarantine simply because the datasets are encrypted or
password protected. Both practices are standard nowadays between data
centers, and a lot of our users need these attachments through.

I've been trying to come up with locally hosted cloud solutions to allow
our users and external users to upload/share files instead of attaching
them, but I've had limited success with this approach.

There is a pressure of convenience to allow these attachments through to
our users and out, simply down to the volume of traffic required.

I wondered if any other MDaemon Admins had any advice on such an approach?

Any help with this matter would be very much appreciated.

--
Best regards,
  Ian Bowes mailto:ib@mrc.soton.ac.uk

from this mailing list send an email to md-support-unsubscribe@altn.com .

support and discussion. Alt-N staff members may participate in the

Ian Carter (apparently) - Mar 30, 2012 3:42 pm (#1 Total: 1)

Ian Carter
Jedi
Jedi

Hello,

By design, SecurityPlus will attempt to open any attachment and try to scan
the contents of the attachment. However, in your case, since SecurityPlus
doesn't know the password in order to open the attachment the message can't
get scanned. Since the message can't get scanned, the message will be
routed to the quarantine queue if MDaemon is configured to quarantine
messages that cannot be scanned.

Currently, the only way to allow these types of messages through MDaemon
would be to disable the option for 'Quarantine messages that cannot be
scanned'. This can be configured in MDaemon under Security | AntiVirus.

Configuring SecurityPlus to know the password for password protected files
is currently on the wishlist for consideration in a future version of
MDaemon.

--
Ian Carter